mandag den 24. januar 2011

International languages month - Febuary

My fellow blogger, Miss Kagashi, has provided the me with a challenge. This challenge is to learn a languages in one month. Not to its perfection, but just so you try something new.
Here are the rules, as she wrote them:

"THE RULES
1. No google translate, babelfish, or other translation websites for help. Not only is this cheating, but a lot of times the syntax is wrong and boy, will you look a fool.

2. You must learn correct (or as close as you can manage if you have difficulties) pronounciation- it's wonderful that you can say "C'est tres bon", but not so much if you say it "Kest tress bone".

3. You must learn 100 vocabulary words- please try to avoid cognates, those are easy!

4. You may not learn a variation on your own primary tongue- so no British English/American English. Yes, as different as European French and Quebecois is, the structure is still similar and gives you an advantage. The ONLY exception to this are official language variations of sign language. (For example, if you speak English and are American, you may learn American Sign Language and still be within the rules. My hat goes off to you- learning to sign is quite difficult, I've tried.)
5. I'm sorry geeks- but fantasy or science fiction constructed languages are not allowed within this event, this includes: Elvish (Sindarin AND Quenya), Klingon, Dwarvish, Naavi, or the Divine Language (.... Leeloo multipass?).

6. In the spirit of this blog however, Esperanto is completely allowed. For the unfamiliar: Esperanto was invented in the 1880s as an uncomplicated and non-violent language for everyone to learn which would, in hope, bring about peace and understanding. If there ever was a steampunk language, I suppose!

7. Your vocabulary can only include a maximum of two expletives and furthermore they have to be ones actually used in the language, not translated from your primary tongue. Sorry, all.

8. At the end of February, upload a video to youtube of you making the following introduction from memory- feel free to be creative and fun with your videos! Be sure to place a transcript of what you've said in the description, along with a translation if you so choose.

When you upload your video, make sure:
-It has the tags: multiculturalism, steampunk, and GLLC
-It has "My Great Language Learning Challenge" and then the language you learned as the title. (So mine would be: My Great Language Learning Challenge: Georgian.)
-There is a link back to this blog post in the description so people know what the hell you're on about.

The Questions:

-Greeting of your choice (in the plural, to be specific)
-My name is _____
-I have learned (language of choice).  (Yes, we're bringing TENSES into this.)
-I am from (your city/town, state/province, and country of origin)
-I am a(n) (occupation)
-I like (list at least four hobbies, sports, or other things you enjoy)
-My favorite food is ______.
-My favorite book is ______.
-What was you favorite vocabulary word?
-Finally, answer this question- Are you going to learn more?

9. When viewing another participant's video, please be open-minded and courteous. People are putting themselves out there by learning a new language and unveiling the results for the world to see, so if their accent is off or they misconjugated slightly, be nice and helpful rather than derisive or negative. This month is meant to get people interested in learning and appreciating different languages, so let's be encouraging folks!

10. Have fun with your video- because the participant who makes the most creative or fun entry wins a special prize! A custom-made Central Asian style hat by Miss Kagashi herself! Think of how dashing and warm you'll look! If the winner happens to be vegan or have issues with real (recycled from vintage coats) fur, faux fur can be easily substituted.

I have chosen to learn Icelandic, because I always have loved the Icelandic people and their history.

1 kommentar:

  1. Hi!
    I wasn't sure if you would be notified if I just posted a comment in reply to yours on my blog (Serinde)... I wanted to be sure you got your answer, so I'm doing that over here :)

    Yes, I will share my pattern for the bustle.
    But I draft my patterns on paper naturally (in the rare case I actually do properly draft a pattern...) and the pieces are full of notes and scribbles probably only I can understand.
    So just scanning the thing won't do and I'll have to actually re-draft it in photoshop and write out understandable instructions as well. So it might take me a little while. But I'll get there ;)
    Are you in some kind of a hurry? Because of course I would be glad to be of help and would hurry up a bit ;)

    All the best and thanks for following my blog!
    Sarah/Serinde

    SvarSlet